Monday, April 10, 2006

Shh. Listen.

Do I even realize how great the Word of God is? I don’t think I do. I think it’s so available to me, so much a part of my life and my culture that I sometimes lose sight of how amazing this gift is. The Word of God a.k.a. the Bible. I have several of ‘em. Different translations. Slim and light to carry with, big and bulky with lots of study guides for at home. Paper back “cheap” Bibles and leather bound with my name in genuine golden script.
I have a Torah for those days I’m feeling my Jewish roots. I have a kicky green and blue Bible for when I’m feeling stylish.
I have Bibles in my car, next to my bed, in my living room and on my computer.
My kids have their first children’s Bibles and their pre-teen devotional Bibles and their funky metal covered current Bibles.
I have a heavy King James with places in the front where our genealogy and important dates are recorded.
But do I really “get” it?
2 Samuel 22:31
"As for God, his way is perfect; the word of the LORD is flawless. He is a shield for all who take refuge in him.

This morning I was studying for some teaching I’m doing this month and for a while there, I think I did understand. I want to be that way more. I wanted to read faster to get to the next part and slower to soak in this part. I wanted to call someone to tell them what I learned. How can something so satisfying and fulfilling and empowering be so easily set aside in my life? I don’t know.
Matthew 4:4
4Jesus answered, "It is written: 'Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.

Today, though, I got it. I read and I soaked and I backtracked and I thought to myself, of course this is the story that will change the world. Of course, this is the power of salvation. Of course, this is the hope of glory. Of course, this is the Word of God.
What a gift, this Word of God in the hands of mortal man. How lightly we handle it. How foolish I am. If I spend a little more time with it, maybe this Word of God will make me a little less foolish.

I'm finding myself at a loss for words; And the funny thing is it's okay
The last thing I need is to be heard; But to hear what You would say

[CHORUS]
Word of God speak; Would You pour down like rain
Washing my eyes to see; Your majesty
To be still and know; That You're in this place
Please let me stay and rest; In Your holiness. Word of God speak

I'm finding myself in the midst of You; Beyond the music, beyond the noise
All that I need is to be with You; And in the quiet hear Your voice
~ Mercy Me

No comments: