Friday, April 21, 2006

Uppy!!!

Every once in a while God has to remind me of how small I make my world, and how much more there is of it to be had. Today He has done it again. Simply, beautifully God is shining around me and teaching me about abundance.
I woke up with the headache that won’t die that has lasted longer than I care to comment on. I didn’t particularly care to do much but lay on my couch and read and try to keep my head still. I wasn’t depressed or down or even discouraged but just kind of still and introspective. Then I got to thinking about better ways to spend my day and better thoughts to fill my mind and I asked God for a different feel to my heart.
Do you ever need that? Just a boost, a little “uppy” as my kids used to call it. They would come up to us as little ones and wanting to be lifted up they would raise their hands and stretch their arms and say “uppy”. We all knew what that meant and they were guaranteed that some loving adult; mom, dad, grandmas, grandpas, aunts... would always lift them. They wanted a better view, a higher perch and the closeness of being held that went along with it.
This morning I realized I have had too many days in a row of quietness and slowness and I needed an uppy.
I put on some praise music, really loud. I opened my windows to let the cool spring air through. I put in a load of laundry, washed a few dishes, got myself together and got moving. I breathed in really deeply and slammed back some cold water. And I took that uppy I’ve been needing. Within moments I was thinking about my fantastic husband, my beautiful boys, my amazing family. I was reminded of the people God has placed into my life who usher me into praise and giggles and trust and love and life; a great big full life. I got a better view from a higher perch. I got the lift into the arms of Christ that changed my perspective.
Abundant life exploded in front of my eyes. Cherry blossoms blooming on my tree outside. Springtime blowing through my little house. Worship and adoration whirling around my head. Abundant goodness had been hiding. I needed an uppy to see it.
Are you feeling a little down, a little blah? A little like it’s just another day, and the same old things are in front of you? Don’t accept it. Be like my boys, they weren’t willing to take life from the point of view they had in front of them. They wanted to see it all and be held close by someone who loved them in the process.
The stuff of life won’t go away; but it’s a whole lot prettier when you get an uppy.

John 10:10
... I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.

No comments: