Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Be Prepared


Psalm 23:5
You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.
Isaiah 40:3
A voice of one calling: "In the desert prepare the way for the LORD ; make straight in the wilderness a highway for our God.
Jeremiah 46:3
"Prepare your shields, both large and small, and march out for battle!
Mark 14:8
She did what she could. She poured perfume on my body beforehand to prepare for my burial.
John 14:2,3
In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am.


I like to be prepared. I don’t always pull it off but it is always my goal.
My son has Celiac Disease so I have little choice about being prepared where his diet is concerned. Gluten-free food is not always readily available and I don’t want him to miss out on not only eating healthfully, but just being able to enjoy himself with everyone else. I keep a pantry in my kitchen stocked with all gluten-free stuff so he knows where to grab something safe without label-reading, and so I’m always prepared to feed him. Snacks, baking supplies, cake mixes, dinner stuff...it’s all there all the time. When we went up north I left it to him to pack up his own supplies. Guess what? Not a blessed thing packed.
So we had to take the trip to the next major city (about thirty minutes away) to find a super Wal-Mart to try to improvise a gluten-free diet for Jay. Not easy. I do much of his shopping in a small specialty store, none of those up north. We pulled it off, I read through recipe books for gluten-free stuff and stuff I could modify. He didn’t starve.
But we were not prepared, and it was not good.
I’m a person who keeps two of everything on hand. Two tubes of mascara, two boxes of laundry detergent, two sons.
I launder and iron at least a week’s worth of work clothes ahead of time. Then I do a quick scan to choose the jewelry to wear with it.
I make the appointment for my next hair appointment when I’m paying for my current visit.
When Mac was going on a cruise I made him bring out his swim trunks and try them on two months ahead of time so I could confirm that A. He could find them and B. They would fit.
I’m just saying, I like to be prepared.
Prepared>a state of readiness, especially for war.
Sometimes it’s just my obsessive-compulsive self that gets caught up in being prepared but not usually. Usually it’s just good common sense, taking responsibility for things that I’m accountable for. Not letting things slip past me that will affect my ability to do what needs doing, make me late or interfere with me doing my best.
“I wasn’t prepared.” is not an acceptable excuse in any situation I can think of.
What’s interesting is how hard I work to stay prepared for my daily life, things both large and small; and yet how poorly prepared my spirit often is.
I know what it takes to run a prepared-for life. I keep my stock of supplies, mark my calendar, make my lists and do the work.
What does it take to be spiritually prepared, in a state of readiness, especially for war?
Because be assured, we’re at war (and not just with terrorists).
Spiritual preparedness requires knowing who’s in charge and being absolutely committed to his authority. Are you a Christ-follower?
Communication with the leader to know what to do, how to make decisions and where I am supposed to be stationed. How much time every day is devoted to prayer?
Stocking my heart and mind with scriptures (and not from a calendar or a fridge magnet). So let me just say it, what are you currently studying in the Bible? What passages or principles are you studied up enough regarding to teach them to someone else?
Belief in the system of being spiritually prepared should show in my life. Does your daily life reflect scriptural principles?
Evidence that the leader is trusted and worthy of following. Do you take time to just praise and worship God? How?
Learning how to be better prepared, stocking up on the wisdom and knowledge that others have to offer, humbling self to learn a new lesson, challenge an old assumption, gain higher ground. Do you seek out other believers for study time, seek spiritual mentors and join corporate worship as well as fellowship?
Getting self out of the center. Do you serve others in a way that is meaningful to Christ? How?

And by you, I mean me and us.
Because I haven’t yet attained preparation of the heart and spirit with the same dedication that I prepare my pantries and calendar.
Silly really. Because I understand that life needs to be organized when it’s so short. But I am decidedly eternally disorganized.

Someday you and I and all of us are going to stand in front of God.
“I wasn’t prepared” will definitely be the wrong answer.

1 Peter 1:13
[ Be Holy ] Therefore, prepare your minds for action; be self-controlled; set your hope fully on the grace to be given you when Jesus Christ is revealed.

10 comments:

Tonya said...

I am a daily-Life prepared person, Not to big on suprises, because I was not prepared for that.... But you have really made me think about how I can get more prepared with my spirit... I do put more time into my daily-life preparing then into my spirit preparing....Great post, It is really making me think and self evaluate.

Pat said...

So true...a leader who is not prepared is more dangerous than not having a leader at all. good one!

Margie said...

ok, so what if you weren't prepared to be attacked? It sucks, but thankfully, God has our backs too.

Thanks for the inspiration, I have to get a new study guide...

Margie said...

You have inspired Tonya and I, we are going to start a women's bible study (sorry Bro Dave) on the the bite sized bible study that Beth Jones has "the friends God sends". starting August 12th at 9:30, every other week.

I will pick up the books (everyone can just reimburse me).

If you are interested, let me know.

tina fabulous said...

as far as daily life goes, i am the complete opposite... i'm always running out of things and forgetting to do stuff but it seems to bother other people more than it bothers me. i've tried to care but it didnt take.
good call on having 2 sons... you never know when one of them will go bad.

KayMac said...

great questions!

tina-you are so funny

MSU gal said...

Let's all meet at Sara's house Friday night for fellowship. Sounds like she is already prepared for us!

Sara said...

my life group meets the second and fourth wednesday of the month (hiatus in july for vacations) resuming in august. problems and promises runs every other month on the first tuesday. i am at metro south church every sunday morning. need i go on? oh, check out margie's ladies bible study as well. yes, i am prepared.

MSU gal said...

WOW! I was just kiddin!
Please accept my...

tina fabulous said...

Fortune favors the prepared mind.
-Louis Pasteur

ha!