Friday, July 21, 2006

Trippin'


This Autumn something pretty special is going to happen. On October 25, the Mr. and I will be celebrating our twentieth wedding anniversary. Pretty awesome if you ask me.
The question at hand now though is this, how exactly are we going to celebrate? Besides that! Sheesh!
We started off talking about "going away" for a long weekend and that's where things got ugly. We couldn't decide on a location, length of stay or anything else. I should say we couldn't agree. By the time we were well into this discussion I had decided that it wasn't the destination that was the problem, it was my traveling companion!
The Mr. and I aren't exactly wired the same. In fact, I'm quite certain we're a complete mismatch.
So here were my dream vacations: Laura Ingalls Wilder's homestead; Loch Ness; Dealey Plaza; England; the Mutter Museum; a night at the Dearborn Inn with a day at the Henry Ford Museum/Greenfield Village; "out in the country somewheres".
The Mr: Chicago; Dallas(at least it fits the Dealy Plaza plan); Vegas; "some big city where we can have a nice dinner"
Can you say stalemate?
Now I'll admit that a major part of this problem is that I'm not a good traveler. I don't particularly care about vacations except the cottage every July. I'd happily go out to dinner and then just come home.
The Mr. feels that twenty years demands some kind of landmark celebration.
So while this post isn't particularly spiritual, although making it this far in this relationship speaks of miracles, I'm needing some ideas here.
We only have about three months left. I'm tellin' ya, if we don't get some direction here, it might be a moot point! I have already called the Mr. an "incompetent, selfish, nervous, lying traveler."
Any ideas?

Proverbs 12:4
A wife of noble character is her husband's crown, but a disgraceful wife is like decay in his bones.

8 comments:

Pat said...

Go to Vegas. Have your vows renewed at one of those chapels with the Elvis impersonator, then go to the $1.99 buffet for a great meal and finish your evening by see La Cage Au Faux!! The next day to satisfy your cultural needs, you can go to the Wax Museum and Dean can go to the Hard Rock Cafe'. Hunk-a Hunk-a burning love....

Tonya said...

How about Gatlinburg... It is kind of big city with lots do to satisfy the Mr, and then you could stay in a cabin in the woods to satisy your needs. I hear that the scenery is really beautiful also.

Margie said...

I'm with Tonya, Gatlinburg, beautiful!!

Pat said...

I'm going to Gatlinburg in Sept!! Yipeee!! Let's all meet there!

MSU gal said...

What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas.

KayMac said...

Happy anniversary a bit early!

tina fabulous said...

i say either a midnight walking tour of harlem or ride the rails on a hobo adventure. because nothing beats the hobo life, stabbing people with your hobo knife.

Sara said...

note to self; confirm presence of hobos in costa rico, book flight.