Monday, November 13, 2006

Allow myself to introduce myself...


I was blog-hopping and found myself unsatisfied with the rather abbreviated profiles I found and wondered if anybody else is as nosey as myself and wonders about fellow bloggers? No? Well, here’s some basic info about me that you clearly don’t care about.

My name is Sara, I’m thirty nine years old. I’ve been married to Dean (the Mr.) for twenty years, started dating him when I was fifteen. Our “going steady” anniversary is November 19, 1982.
I have two sons who are 17 and 18. Jay is a freshman at the University of Michigan Dearborn and Mac’s a senior in high school. Jay wants to be a writer, Mac a middle school math teacher/youth pastor.
My husband works on the line for Ford and I’m a nurse. Specifically I’m the Clinical Coordinator on the inpatient psychiatric unit of the hospital I work at, aka charge nurse. Been a nurse since 2004.
If I had my way I’d be a full time writer and teacher of God’s word living on a farm somewhere. Frankly the biggest thing standing in my way may be my own laziness, I need to get some manuscripts out there and see if anybody’s interested. At least then I’d know for sure! Which leads me to one of my major short-comings; decidedly unmotivated. Blah.
I am socially inept and a loner at heart. I have the potential to be a shut-in but my husband pries me out of the house semi-annually against my will. I’m a book-worm and will read the back of the shampoo bottle if there’s nothing else around. I’m a terrible house-keeper and yet I love home interior type things. I don’t want a career, I want to stay at home and make soup!
I love God and find His word endlessly fascinating, and yet I don’t study it like I should; see above sentence regarding the reading of shampoo bottles. I wish I was more of a servant and less selfish. Margie makes me want to hide under my bed in shame.
I have struggled most of my life with depression and a few years back had the worst episode in my life. I became a barely functioning shut in. Went to work, came home and unplugged the phone. Stopped going to church. Stopped everything but laying in bed. After about a month my husband had had enough and with much prayer took authority over his house and his wife and insisted that I get it together whether by counseling, medication or pure force of will. He stopped fielding my phone calls and making excuses for me. He physically pulled me out of bed. I still have a tendency toward melancholy but that suffocating spirit of depression hasn’t reared its head since. I think Dean showed it the door.
Speaking of which, I am a firm believer in spiritual warfare. I get angry at the devil and hell and believe in standing up and refusing to be pulled under. I believe we have authority over our homes, our children, our marriages, our bodies, our country, our churches....I believe we have complete authority period. I don’t believe this means we are spiritual magicians who say the magic words and get what we want. I do believe it means nothing passes into our lives without passing by God. We are not victims of the universe. We are warriors.
I believe that life is short and will pass by before we know what hit us. I feel loosely tied to this leg of the journey and believe the real part of my life will begin on the other side of heaven. I believe there are things I will long for now because they will be given to me there. I believe I will be finally whole when I’m free of this flawed flesh I’m living inside of now.
I am impatient and intolerant. I think with God’s influence these two things make me pursue holiness and hold myself to a higher standard. I know that most of the time these two things happen under my own influence and I act like a fool.
I think that I’m quite average looks-wise and I’m ok with that. I know that without make up I basically turn into a blank canvas and if I go out in public this way people ask me if I’m sick. No, this is just what I really look like. I have oppositional-defiant hair. It has to be very short (like now) or in a pony tail. It refuses to comply with any styling efforts whatsoever. In heaven, I will have Meg Ryan’s hair. I suspect she won’t be using it.
I have a very ugly body but under clothing it’s acceptable. I cannot wear a bathing suit. Seriously. Having lost weight my body is saggy and yucky and without plastic surgery, I’m best kept under wraps. Happily, I hate swimming so it’s all good.
I also hate pretty much all physical activity of any kind. I do enjoy the outdoors but for limited periods of time and only in ideal conditions. I am always cold since I lost weight. Except for lately when I have night-time hot flashes and in the mornings when I’m very sweaty and must open the bathroom window. I am not sure if this is pre-menopause or induced by the overwhelming stress of attempting to fix myself up enough so that no one asks me if I’m on chemo.
I would eat like a lumberjack given my druthers but having the metabolism I do; I must eat very carefully as I gain weight for no good reason whatsoever and lose weight in virtually untrackable increments. I cannot add salt to anything or I retain more water than the Hoover Dam.
I like casual clothes although I enjoy dressing up. Because I’m crazy I will prepare obsessively for dressy occasions but when the event arrives, I’m always disappointed in how I look. I’m most comfortable in Levis and t shirts. But always earrings as I’m not an animal.
I’m funny but have to be careful because I can also venture into offensive.
I like old movies but few new ones. I hate chick flicks. I watch virtually no television except M*A*S*H reruns. I think reality television is the downfall of civilization.
I think that’s enough for now, anybody still out there? Hello? Is this thing on?

P.S. please write about yourself! I promise to read.

Psalm 139:1-3
For the director of music. Of David. A psalm O LORD, you have searched me
and you know me.
You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar.
You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways.



12 comments:

Becky said...

i'm done!

Margie said...

Pleased to love you. I already know you. I think you give me much to much credit. I'll introduce myself tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

The details of my life are quite inconsequential... very well, where do I begin? My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. My childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds- pretty standard really.

MSU gal said...

how can anyone follow FAB? it's like the warm-up band coming onstage AFTER the star. it just doesn't work.

BTW Sara invented the question mark.

Pat said...

Sari, I hardly knew ya.

Tonya said...

Oh, Wow, A challenge of introducing ourselves, I will really have to give it some thought as to what I will write. But, I love the pictures.

Mrs. Mac said...

You clean up nicely ... love the lipstick ... it puts some life back into your face :) I'm 48 and bought some "hip" clothes today finally. My children were too embarassed to be seen with me. Married for 26 years to a police officer .. so I'm a little cynical .. rubbed off from the Mr. My family took 14 years to produce ... I have oldins and youngins. My nickname is "Pollyanna" ... have you ever met a cynical Pollyanna? That's Me.

Deb said...

....feeling compelled to introduce myself in my blog --I may do that in installments....

and yes...I have to stand with msugal86 and confirm that it was indeed Sara who invented the question mark....

BTW--I drive a FORD. :)
...but for some reason I'm thinking that it was manufactured in Canada --what's up with that?! How are we supposed to buy American-made cars when they're made in Canada?

Anonymous said...

The question isn't can we follow Tina FAB but can we follow the musings of Dr. Evil......

Sara said...

why did i think that only mike edwards would recognize the subtle theme? anybody else out there catch it?

Margaret said...

Hi! Saw my name here but it wasn't me you were talking about. However since I'm here. Hi!!!

KayMac said...

I would read your books. Not only would I read your books, I would buy them for my friends!