Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Good Morning Yesterday


Lamentations 3:22-23
Because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail.
They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.

Oh it’s so easy, isn’t it, to tell someone to leave the past behind them? It’s so easy. And so stupid. What kind of idiot wakes up in the morning and simply decides that because the clocked ticked over from p.m. to a.m. that the world has changed? Come on.
Yesterday’s baggage is right there next to your bed waiting to trip you. I know this because I fall over my own baggage pretty regularly.
We can’t put our past behind us so neatly as to just stop thinking about it. I don’t even think God really wants us to pretend yesterday or last week or the past ten years never happened. I think he wants to be in it with us. We wouldn’t need to be rescued if we weren’t in peril, right?
So this morning my prayer for us is not that we live in denial of our situations but that we live in recognition that we will not be consumed.
My intention today is to put a name to those things that have made it through the midnight hour and are there leering at me in the sunrise. I recognize today’s pain and problems. I am aware that I will be up against challenges that I’d rather run away from.
My agenda is not new this morning. But God’s compassion has not emptied out. His faithfulness is there every morning.
I will not be consumed.
Great is thy faithfulness, Lord unto me.

4 comments:

Tonya said...

Amen Sara!

Margie said...

amen!

Deb said...

Putting my past behind me....impossible. I'll be blogging about that eventually...
stay tuned.

Pat said...

"So this morning my prayer for us is not that we live in denial of our situations but that we live in recognition that we will not be consumed."
Not be consumed...good teaching sister!