Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Falling In Love


I love living in Michigan because we experience all four seasons; sometimes in the same week.
The beautiful thing about it is that when it’s time for the seasons to change, I’m ready for the next season to come with it’s weather, holidays and specialness.
I do, however, have a favorite season and that’s autumn. As I get to work in the mornings with the wind blowing and rainy days looming, lots of people are complaining already about the cold to come and the lost days of summer warmth. Not me. I’m ready for the heat to fade away and to bundle up in sweatshirts and thick socks.
I love the leaves changing and the stark contrast of bare branches against gray skies. I like the settling in feeling I get down in my bones. The earth giving me permission to stay in, stay warm and be quiet. I like the slowing down of autumn.
I was an autumn bride and had one autumn baby. One event was intentional and the other was a surprise. Both add to my affinity for October in particular.
Although I’ve never been a farmer, I imagine the hard work of planting and sowing fields that yield the bounty of harvest in the fall.
I like apple orchards and harvest festivals and the sound of the Michigan wind blowing in the night when I’m warm under blankets and feeling cloaked in my blessings.
I think that coffee tastes better in cold weather and books are more interesting and food simmering on the stove smells extra yummy.
What is autumn like in your neck of the woods and what is your favorite thing about my favorite season?

Psalm 85:11-13
Faithfulness springs forth from the earth, and righteousness looks down from heaven. The LORD will indeed give what is good, and our land will yield its harvest. Righteousness goes before him and prepares the way for his steps.

7 comments:

MSU gal said...

nothing beats Autumn in Michigan!

Tonya said...

I love the color changes and being able to be in a sweatshirt and outside playing in the leaves with my Gracie Girl.

Margie said...

I love sweatshirts! Warm and toasty! I love apple cider, orange punkins, hand painted (by God) colors of the leaves, Trick or treaters, apples. and soon it will be thanksgiving, the national holiday of praising God! Woo hoo!!

KayMac said...

love autumn in MI too! the crackle and smell of the fallen leaves, apple cider, the crisp temps, the windiness....curling up with a good book or old movie in front of a fire!

Deb said...

Autumn in Pennsylvania is very much like Autumn in Michigan - I'm assuming.

I love the rolling hills painted with rainbows of trees and a cup of hot apple cider on a cold crisp evening shared with friends. I love to think that I have more time and desire to read lots of good books in Autumn. It's a delusion. I don't have more time - but I almost always restart my biweekly visits to the library in Autumn. This morning's finds: a book by Dave Pelzer entitled: The Privilege of Youth (If you haven't read A Boy Called 'It' --you must. And another by Dave Pelzer's brother, Richard B. Pelzer entitled: Surviving a Childhood of Abuse ---reading to help in my understanding of future foster kids....

I'm rambling...again.

I love Fall --the crinkle and rustle of the fallen leaves as one walks through---and the smell of them burning too.

okay. that is all.

Jada's Gigi said...

Goodness! I'm like you, I love it all! Autumn is the BEST! I really missed it when living in FL but being near the GA mtns...it all comes back to me. I love a fire and sweaters and fuzzy slippers. Popcorn and brownies and playing in leaves with my Jadabear...jsut the smell of leaves is yummy...and apple cider donuts!...and the blue, blue sky of October! Thanks for asking :)

Mrs. Mac said...

This is my FAVORITE season. I remember autumn in Michigan ... and love fall here in Northern Idaho. So much beauty in every season ... but to slow down a bit is a reward after a long hot summer.