Monday, November 06, 2006

Our Typical Bounty


Jeremiah 31:14
I will satisfy the priests with abundance, and my people will be filled with my bounty," declares the LORD.

More hearth, home and harvest thoughts from me today. These thoughts also had me contemplating if I’m so attuned to my blessings at the change of every season or if this particular time of year speaks especially to me.
Either way, today is a good day.
It’s Sunday morning, November 5, as I’m sitting at my computer writing. The Mr. has already left for church some two hours ago being that he plays in the worship band and has to be there for early service. Mac will stay home this morning because he’s just on the tail end of this nasty flu thing and I want him well-rested for school tomorrow. I’ll wake Jay up in a few minutes to start getting ready for church.
It’s chilly out, although not freezing. The Fox 2 weather people tell me it’s in the low forties. That’s practically a Michigan heat wave. It’s your typical sunshiney crisp Michigan autumn, and I hope I never lose sight of the sweet typicalness of it.
Sometimes on Sundays we go out to dinner after church. Once fall and football season arrive, we start eating at home more often so the Mr. and daboyz can watch whatever game(s) is on. Chilli or nachos is standard fare on those Sunday afternoons but with Mac’s gastric issues of late I put my foot down despite the Mr. going grocery shopping yesterday and stocking up on chilli and nacho supplies.
Into the pantry I went this morning before the sun was quite above the horizon, still in my pajamas with the coffee perking (have I ever mentioned how deeply satisfying I find the smell of coffee in the morning? Never gets old. I’m sure I’ve not shared this before...). So rooting around for what we might have for Sunday dinner the Mr. pulls out our standard giant can of green beans. In that quiet wonderful manner of two who know each other so well we started the day. He put the green beans into our large stew pot and added onions and bacon. Before long the house was smelling like a holiday, you know those early morning smells as you start the preparations for a special meal? A typical special Sunday morning.
I pulled a ham out of the freezer to add to our green beans. The Mr. added a jar of pintos to the green beans because it’s a good source of fiber and nutrients that Jay, with his Celiac disease, sometimes misses out on. No discussion needed.
I turned on the dishwasher to take care of the multiple pizza pans and cereal bowls from Saturday.
Off the Mr. went to church as I stepped into the shower.
Mac awoke just as I was finishing my morning routine. Feeling better. Weak. But better.
I made him a cup of hot tea. Kettle on the stove whistling. Tea tastes better that way than from a microwave, don’t you think? He wanted honey and lemon in his tea because his throat is still a little sore. Honey and lemon it is.
Oh, and do we have any corned beef hash?
Yup. Coming right up.
The beans with bacon and onion are smelling wonderful and the sun is shining bright and the hot tea with honey and lemon is steaming in a big red mug.
Into the oven with the ham. Glaze and pineapples at the Mr.’s request to be added later.
Mac loves Au Gratin potatoes. Any in pantry? Sure. Not from scratch, but the kind he likes.
Jay just got up and into the shower. We two will leave for church shortly.
Mac will sip his hot tea. We’ll be home in a few hours.
The ham and beans will be ready and I’ll finish up with the Au Gratin potatoes.
What great bounty I live with. Just a simple matter of opening a cabinet, peeking into a pantry and turning on a kettle.
Ham, green beans, Au Gratin potatoes.
Hot tea with honey and lemon.
Not a holiday. Not a special meal. Just a typical day with more than we need at our fingertips.
Warm, well-fed and blessed.
Our typical bounty.

7 comments:

Margie said...

why didn't you tell me you were cooking, we ate Taco Bell.

Deb said...

I love the kind of meals that just "happen" without a whole lot of planning. They're usually the best kind. Yesterday, I was scrounging around my kitchen looking for something to make for dinner...chicken, mushrooms, broccoli, green beans, peas, can of cream of chicken soup, can of cream of celery soup, black pepper, garlic, milk, cheddar and monterey jack cheese.....made THE BEST Cream of Something soup! YUM!

Now I feel pressure to follow with something equally as good tonight! I'm leaning toward Orange Roughy....haven't made my final decision yet!

Jada's Gigi said...

ummm I can smell it from here...yes, typical bounty...great choice of words...and I do think you've mentioned that coffee smell thing before...:)

KayMac said...

nice...sounds so cozy and homey and loving!

Mrs. Mac said...

Sounds picture perfect ... I can almost smell the yummy scents ... and of course the fresh coffee. I like the scent inside my walk-in pantry of coffee beans. When we sold our last home, I even made sure to have a fresh pot perking before the realtor dropped in ... something very homey about the scent.

Pat said...

UMMMM, I can smell it, and taste it! What a perfect Lords day.

MSU gal said...

This family has a lot to be thankful for...sounds like a truly wonderful day.