Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Nurse Stacey

I just got off the phone with my friend, Stacey. Stacey is wired like me in a lot of ways except she is much sweeter and entirely more beautiful than I could ever dream to be. Despite this, I like her. Weird.
Anyway, Stacey has been a stay-at-home mom for her daughter, Alexa since her birth. Alexa is starting a new life this fall...kindergarten. Stacey is starting a new life too. She is returning to school. She wants to be a nurse.
This is how we're alike. Talking to her today about her excitement, nervousness, decisions to be made took me back. Wasn't that long ago I was that career homemaker who God suddenly sneaked up on to send to nursing school. And it was all of a sudden. I was sitting in our favorite Mexican restaurant with my husband and family and heard myself say, "I'm thinking about going to nursing school." I was as shocked as everyone else. Three months later, I was taking Chemistry. Stacey decided a few weeks ago to go back to school this fall and here she is, choosing her first classes. Chemistry is one. That excitement and terror in her voice reminds me of myself. I find myself smiling so big it hurts while I'm talking to her on the phone. She's gonna do great. And she's gonna be an awesome nurse, I've no doubt.
I know what compelled me toward nursing school. It was God, same way he's instructing her now. He lights a fire in our hearts and there's no choice but to run hard after it. And there is no joy like the joy that bubbles up in us when we feel that moment of knowing he's in it with us.
I also know what got me through nursing school when I was tired and frustrated and utterly sick of the whole thing right down to my HFCC polo shirt. God again. More than once, he was there on behalf of people who loved me and believed in me when I ran low on that internal motivation that got me moving in the first place. People prayed me through it.
I intend to pray Stacey through this starting right now. I'm asking for favor with her instructors, and for her to join the official nursing program in God's perfect timing. I'm already praying for her job as a registered nurse!
Come on along and pray with me. When you see what a great nurse God builds, you'll be glad you were part of it!

Psalm 20:4 May he give you the desire of your heart and make all your plans succeed.

6 comments:

Jada's Gigi said...

its scary going back to school as an adult..your friend will do great I'm sure

Margie said...

she's going to do great!

Lord, I ask You to help Stacy as she makes her choices for classes and instructors. Lord, when she's tired (exhausted, really), Lord, give her time for a nap that she'll need. Lord, I ask that You give her wisdom when the answers just won't come to her. Lord, i ask that You find her a partner at school to cheer her on to empathize with her, and someone to share all the joy that she is going to get from following Your plan. Lord, clear her path so that she can go on this journey with Your end in sight. Lord, Stacy is amazing, and Lord, thank You for her on behalf of her patients that she will be serving in the future. In Jesus' name. Amen!

Margie said...

wait... you got off the phone???

Pat said...

She's gonna do just fine, and when she's finished it's gonna feel soooo good! Right?

Deb said...

Sara, as I read that you were already praying for Stacey's job as a Registered Nurse, I got the "Holy Spirit chills". I will certainly agree with you for Stacey as she embarks upon this awesome adventure!!

Please continue to keep us posted on her student "career" so that I may pray more specifically as time goes on!

It's exciting indeed!

Arlene - BY HIS STRIPES!!! said...

Stacey, you go girl, in Jesus' name. I am so sure that you will make a wonderful nurse and minister while you are nursing. God help my friend, Stacey to chose the classes you would chose for her at the time you would chose them. Give her favor with her instructors and let them know, in her life, you are Lord of all. I pray for Stacey that she would be able to stay focused on what you have given her and be able to listen to your still quiet voice. In Jesus Name, Amen!