Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Submission or Obedience?


Mark 4:40,41 And he said unto them, Why are ye so fearful? how is it that ye have no faith?
And they feared exceedingly, and said one to another, What manner of man is this, that even the wind and the sea obey him?

Trees falling and drivers with knitted brow trying to keep their cars in their lanes have marked the high winds of this afternoon. Giggles about messy hair echo through the hall during shift change. My silly dog seems to walk sideways with unnecessarily high steps.
As I put my keys into my back the chimes on our deck sound like gentle church bells, deceptively sweet in the powerful wind.
Mighty winds.
Mighty God.
Far from me is the idea that I should speak better words than the gospel. Abide with me for just a moment then. Because it is not the winds that obey my God today. It is He who directs the wind where it should blow; the submission of creation that dares not question. It is He who breathes the wind into existence.
It is only the prideful man who stops to consider obedience.
How much wiser the winds than I.

1 comment:

Louise said...

Powerful words to honor our powerful God. Thank you.