Sunday, October 21, 2007

Autumn Feast


When the Mr. went to Alabama for the weekend, daboyz and I took advantage by eating the stuff WE love and he hates. So we didn't eat out for a single meal. The Mr. is one of those people that only eats what he loves. If it isn't his favorite, he won't be unkind but he won't just eat it either. He'll just sit there and eventually go get himself some Mexican. That's kind of discouraging when you're cooking.
Anyway, Jay can purchase gluten free bread at a nearby specialty store that is pretty much useless unless you make grilled cheese out of it so we started with that goal...grilled cheese. He likes peasant soup but can't eat in restaurants because their soup is always thickened with flour. So I made a home made peasant soup of sorts to go with our grilled cheese. That was Saturday. To top it off on Sunday I made jambalaya. The Mr. HATES jambalaya. I'm think this will prevent him from going to heaven.
Finally, for something sweet I made apple crisp. Again, desserts for Jay is a challenge. So I found a recipe with little flour which I switched out for tapioca flour and using mainly oatmeal as the "crisp."
I was a very popular mom.
So popular that when the following weekend rolled around daboyz were already asking for a repeat. Although Margie is the recipe queen, I thought I'd share these favorites. I assure you they are easy as I refuse to make anything involve multiple steps. For autumn days, I think you'll enjoy 'em! Warning: All measurements are estimates. I measure nothing, it's how I roll.

Peasant Soup aka the Lord's Souper (per Jay) aka Pleasant Soup (per Mac)
1 lb. cubed veal (use meat of your choice if this horrifies you) (or get over it!)
3-4 potatoes, cubed
1 can peas
1 bag frozen carrots
package celery
1 large can beef broth
1 large can crushed tomato
basil, pepper, garlic, salt to taste
**I think onion and green pepper would be good but daboyz don't like 'em.

Brown veal in olive oil. Add potatoes and quick fry with veal to soften and season. Add beef broth and seasons and bring to boil. Add tomato, celery, carrots, peas and simmer for about 20 minutes.
Have a grilled cheese, colby jack please, to go with.

Easy Jambalaya
1 package kielbasa or Dearborn sausage if you can get it.
Minute Rice brown or white rice, six cups (prepared)
2 cans red beans
1 large can crushed tomato
white pepper, cumin, garlic, chili powder, paprika to taste

Simmer sausage and add cooked rice to pan, stir in to season rice. Add beans and crushed tomato, season to taste. Eat!

Apple Crisp
4-6 apples, peeled, cored, sliced.
Cover with 2 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 cup brown sugar or Splenda brown, 1 TB sugar or Splenda, 1 tsp flour
Put into 9x11 pan sprayed with Pam.
1 1/2 cup quick cook oatmeal, 1/4 c. flour, 3/4 c. melted butter, 1 cup chopped walnuts mixed together until crumbly. Spread over top.
Cook at 350 for 45 minutes. Serve warm!

Even if you're a busy person, find one day a week to cook something wholesome and delicious to enjoy as a family. I'm telling you, even scrambled eggs and toast will do. Don't let the good old days of family dinners be lost to your home.

6 comments:

Louise said...

Oh Thara! These recipes sound so good I'm gonna try 'em. For our dinner today I made chicken wings with my special home-made sauce; mashed sour-cream potatoes and corn. Thankfully we both like left-overs so guess what's for din-din tomorrow?

Louise said...

p.s. Have you tried the Chicken-Sun-Dried Tomato sausage from Ray's meats? SOOOO good!

Margie said...

THey sound YUMMO! I will have to make them, and add them to my recipe scrap book (yes, I am that big of nerd!). I will need a picture of daboyz and you, please to put on the page! You can send one of all of you, even though Dean doesn't like the food :)

Mrs. Mac said...

I have a freezer full of different cuts of buffalo (it really is rather delish ... tastes like beef ;) ... very, very tender ... will let you know if I start something by making the peasant soup.

KayMac said...

sounds so good. i think this weekend....

Arlene - BY HIS STRIPES!!! said...

Sounds so good!