Tuesday, October 16, 2007

The Word


How punishing words can be. Think about how hard it is to accept an apology for hurtful words, they keep ringing in your ears even when the speaker repents. Think about adults who still feel sting of words heard in childhood. Think about hearing yourself saying something and then the immediate horror of it coming out of your mouth.
I have to keep a close watch on my words. I use them foolishly. And then I feel physically ill for the next hundred years while my own soundtrack repeats in my head. I have asked God to never take that discomfort from me because it keeps me careful as I learn to hold my words in check. I often think my regrets of today will save me from worse regrets tomorrow.
I hear doctors speaking to patients and see the dread that their words cause. The same information wrapped in different words might leave hope instead of despair. I know how to speak gently to my husband or how to give the same message dripping with sarcasm and humiliation.
We have all been the recipient of unwanted opinions that turn a good day into a bad one. Recently a co-worker said to me, "You've quit your diet, huh? Bad choice. The truth hurts dearie." Seriously. Then she walked away chuckling. Yes, I know I have gained an entire size. No, I don't like it. But only just now did I stop feeling like I could turn it around and start feeling ugly.
With the world of e mailing and blogging at our finger-tips, how much more we need to give our words to Christ every morning. There is no inflection or facial expression to interpret my words. I have hurt people who misunderstood my meaning because I dropped an e mail instead of making a visit. Trying to be cautious I write my blogs ahead of time and then post them after several days to be sure that I am not being hurtful, intentionally or not. Likewise, I have more than once deleted or archived a post that was a response to something specific. Confronting someone on a blog is dirty pool. I've done it, I know. It's a coward's method for public humiliation.
Words are powerful. They are the essence of God that spun the earth into orbit. They are the life spoken over our dying souls. They are the resurrection of our savior and the offering of our lips.
Dear God, may the gift words you have given me be tempered that I would bring you glory. May I wrap life around the message of death spoken by the enemy. Forgive me when my words are given to satan for his use. Redeem me continually.

1 Kings 8:59 And may these words of mine, which I have prayed before the LORD, be near to the LORD our God day and night, that he may uphold the cause of his servant and the cause of his people Israel according to each day's need...


7 comments:

tina fabulous said...

i oft struggle with my too-easily- said biting comments. i try to reserve them for the company of someone i know will find them entertaining as opposed to hurtful.
it doesnt always work out that way.

Louise said...

Your post is thought provoking dear one and much needed for us to read. Something I try to do each morning is ask God to put a watch over my mouth and a guard over my thoughts. I have been known to be too quick with my words and in my olden age I am working at changing that. Oh to be 40 again and know what I know now!

Proverbs 18:21 - Death and life are in the power of the tongue, And those who love it will eat its fruit.

Matthew Henry's commentary says
"Many a one has caused his own death, or the death of others, by a false or injurious tongue."

Psalm 39:1 A Psalm of David. I said, I will take heed to my ways, that I sin not with my tongue: I will keep my mouth with a bridle, while the wicked is before me.

Trish said...

My parents always told us~ "Watch what you say,it will come home to you" How true!
Thank you for the reminder.

Mrs. Mac said...

I guess our words can be 'tempered' a bit like chocolate ... adding Jesus to the mix makes our lives so rich. I like dark chocolate, btw.

Sara said...

me too mrs. mac!

KayMac said...

I've often said that I wish I could kick myself in the behind over words unintentionally and sigh, intentionally said that have caused a wound. They still fill me w/ regret.

Terry said...

Thank you for praying for my dad Miss Patty,
You don't know how much this means to me!...I love you!!...Love Terry