Monday, October 29, 2007

Of Soup & Desserts

Green leaves turn to gold and red around these parts and cool temperatures have prompted us to embrace Autumn knowing full well that winter is coming. This time of year always settles us down to quietness and more predictable routines. Daboyz no longer get up and go to school together, a fact that makes me a little sad if I think about it too much. Our time of high school football and snuggling up in the stands while I pray through chattering teeth for no injuries is only a memory of time that went by way too fast.
Now Jay works and goes to school, Mac is a full time student. Both have their own lives that don't dance to the same rhythm we once shared as a family. We find ourselves, this first year of no more "children" at home, finding different ways to stay together. I see us over the last month gravitating toward one another on the weekends. The Mr. and I make no plans for Saturday evening or Sunday, making ourselves available should daboyz be at home with us. And more often than not, at home with us they are. It is an unofficial but on purpose way of being a family; knowing our time together is more history than future, at least under the same roof. Oh sure, there are dates and plans that come along and nothing official requires anyone to be home on the weekends. But all things being equal, we like to find ourselves settled into our warm and comfortable living room watching a DVD or even just the television shows we have recorded from the week prior and saved to share.
Part of this new tradition is eating homemade dinners and I have started making something sweet to nibble on through the weekend. The dessert dish lasts just about through until Monday. I usually make a pot of soup as well that we share and the last few bowls make evening snacks for daboyz after we've gone to bed. There is nothing fancy in these meals and desserts but it anchors us back together despite this season of life that might make us drift too far too fast. I remain grateful beyond words that these boys of mine eat soup and dessert with us on cold Saturday evenings. I awake on Sunday mornings and sip coffee with worship on my lips knowing that they will awaken and attend church with us. God has been so very generous to this house.

MEXICAN CHICKEN SOUP
3 Chicken breasts, 2 Cups brown rice (dry), Beef broth, Crushed or diced tomatoes, 2 Packets taco seasoning, small can green chillies

1. Cover chicken breasts with broth, bring to boil and cook through. Remove and cut into bite-sized pieces.
2. Return chicken breasts to broth, add rice and bring to boil.
3. Reduce to simmer, add taco seasoning, tomatoes, chillies.
4. Simmer about 30 minutes or until rice is cooked.

**Great with cheese quesadillas. Try sliced Colby Jack cheese for easy prep!

This week I was lazy on the dessert. I made gluten-free chocolate cake from a mix (thank the Lord for such luxury!) with coconut pecan frosting from a can. And it was fabulous!

Finally, let me be politically incorrect and decidedly anti-feminist. I not only prepare these meals, I serve my guys. For us, it's loading up your bowl in the kitchen with mom at the ladle and then hunkering down in the living room for movie time. Then I bring in dessert. It is not service like a waitress, it is servant-hood as a ministry to my family. This world does not make ministry to one another in our homes a common practice. Find a way to serve your family, even if it is a cup of coffee in the morning. It will bind you together in heavenly places, I promise.
Oh, and a nice bowl of soup with some chocolate cake for dessert doesn't hurt either.
Blessings to your home and family.

Joel 2:26 You will have plenty to eat, until you are full, and you will praise the name of the LORD your God, who has worked wonders for you; never again will my people be shamed.




6 comments:

Margie said...

I agree with you. I say forget that feminist crap, serve your family, a cup of anything. Small things make the difference big and small.

Saija said...

oh that sounds soooooo good!

and i like serving my guy - he would do the same for me (and has) in a minute ...

Louise said...

What a wonderful post and what a wonder-filled time of year we are in. Tomorrow, Lord willing, we shall make Potato/Chicken soup with homemade Foccacia bread. Enough for two days at least!
Our boys seldom eat with us any longer so it's just me & Fred most of the time. There's something so comforting about just the two of us.
Bless you Thara!

Louise said...

p.s. I'm gonna try your recipe too!

KayMac said...

cozy!

Mrs. Mac said...

Yummo ... soup recipe! Nice tradition to bring the family together! You are a blessed woman ... isn't it a great gift to serve our families? I so loving having my married daughter & her family close by. We usually share dinner at least once a week.