Thursday, April 19, 2007

Columbine

Yearbook photographs of the two perpetrators.


On April 20, 1999 two young men killed twelve students, a teacher and then committed suicide at Columbine High School.


Everything changed on this day. My kids' school started doing lock-downs and my then ten and eleven year olds memorized the announcements that were code for armed shooters in their building. From that day forward they practiced drills wherein they flipped up the tables in their classrooms and learned how to take cover from attackers. I sat on my couch and wept the first day they came home to tell me about this new drill.
Let this be a day to love a little deeper and watch a little more carefully.
Let it be a day to forgive in case we don't have another chance and live like it's our last.
Let it be a reminder to pray for our kids.


Cassie <span class=
Cassie Bernall


Steve <span class=
Steve Curnow

Corey <span class=
Corey DePooter


Kelly Fleming
Kelly Fleming

Matt <span class=
Matt Kechter


Daniel Mauser
Daniel Mauser

Daniel <span class=
Daniel Rohrbough


Rachel Scott
Rachel Scott






Coach Dave SandersIsaiah <span class=Isaiah Sholes
Coach Dave Sanders
John Tomlin
John Tomlin

Lauren Townsend
Lauren Townsend


Kyle Velasquez
Kyle Velasquez

Psalm 23:4
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.

*
I wrote this on April 13. I guess the enormity of this week's events doesn't need to be mentioned. April has become a month to remember The Oklahoma City Bombing, Columbine and Virginia Tech. We dare not grow weary of praying.

5 comments:

Tonya said...

Amen Sara, How tragic the what the world is going to...

Kell said...

Michael's grandma lives about 1/2 a mile from Virginia Tech. She said it sounded like World War III. I can't even imagine. Makes me scared to send my kids to school.

Jada's Gigi said...

What is it with April?? Spring should be a time of new life..."Lord, help us"...

KayMac said...

:-(

Margie said...

This is awful. My mom died in April too, it is so wierd that Easter usually falls in April, we are reminded of the great sacrifice of Christ but yet there are so many bad things that have happened to us.

Jesus, please be with us.