Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Gifts...By Dean aka The Mr.

The Mr. is guest-blogging today for my birthday. So you get a two'fer Wednesday. Scroll down for my post today after you read his.
I've been thinking about gifts lately as my wife's fortieth looms. It's hard to decide on an appropriate gift to mark such a momentous occasion.
My earliest memory of a gift was what I believe was about my third Christmas when I received a red fire engine just the right size for a boy like myself to ride in. Then again; this memory is one of me seeing myself in the fire engine begging the question; do I remember the event or a picture of it?
My next most memorable present was 1970. Keep in mind, I said memorable; not wonderful. It was the year of G.I. Joe and manly toys for manly boys like myself. I was a fan of Johnny West. He was a man's man. He surrounded himself with other manly men like General Custer, his manly son Jimmy, his Indian sidekick Geronimo and fought bravely against the evil Sam Cobra. Naturally with the purchase of aforementioned manly toys were included accessories such as cowboys hats, pistols, bowie knives along with coffee cup and pot! Fantastic!
As June 15, 1970 drew near I let my parents know exactly what I needed to complete the Wild West adventure. Which action figure would I receive? What manly gift would await me? As I, with great anticipation, unwrapped my gift I realized in my hands, my manly hands I beheld..Jane West. Loyal wife of Johnny and mother of Jimmy. Wearing a fabulous powder blue cowgirl hat. It was an unmanly birthday indeed as tears welled in my eyes and all dreams of manly western adventures were destroyed in her sparkling eyes.
Along the way I received Micronauts; G.I. Joes and at the age of fifteen the ultimate Christmas gift...a bass guitar.
NowadaysI have simpler requests. Actually so simple it's a single request. Gift cards to Guitar Center. That's it. I'll take them in any denomination. I'll even take them in amounts less than a dollar. I'm a humble man, hoping only to someday have enough Guitar Center gift cards to buy something enormous. This is what I've come to.
But...
On April 25, 1967; as Gomer Pyle laid the soundtrack for my toddler days the greatest gift of my life would be delivered to Fort Hood Texas. God chose to bring Sara Margaret Trent into the world knowing that fifteen years later, she would walk into my teenage world.
I love you very much, Sar'. Happy birthday.

p.s. I'm very glad this time it wasn't a plastic woman.

6 comments:

tina fabulous said...

i've always wondered why you start crying everytime you see a cowgirl.

youre a good man, dean smith!

Pat said...

Your teenage world - I remember it well! God does work out every thing for our good, doesn't he?
I will buy you a Guitar Center gift certificate on your birthday, you deserve only the best!

Richard said...

Happy birthday! (took the effort of redirecting myself over from kaymac).

Hmmm ... I thought women liked to keep the age more on the secret than not so secret side.

Deb said...

Isn't there a song...

"Mammas don't let your babies grow up to be cowboys..." ?

That's probably why you didn't get a Johnny West doll.

MSU gal said...

one of my childhood friends had a Jane West doll and her brother had the Johnny...mmmn.

you are a gift to sara too!

Arlene - BY HIS STRIPES!!! said...

Guitar Center is a bad word at our house. I think we own half of it...just kidding. You are the best and deserve the best, so Guitar Center is definitely fitting.

What a great marriage God has given you guys now!

Love you all! B&A