Thursday, April 26, 2007

Softly & Tenderly, Jesus Is Calling

I have recently been reminded of the importance of quietness. We've had a stressful week. We have had quite a few close friends going through various hurts all in the last ten or so days. We've tried hard to be there for them and sometimes to give them counsel. We have also prayed for them and with them.
When someone you love is going through pain you really want to be able to do something significant to get them through it. I have struggled with myself as I've driven to the home of a friend trying to find words worth saying to make the hurt better. Dean and I have talked ourselves literally hoarse trying to work out some wisdom to speak.
One thing has surfaced through this week and a half of hurting loved ones. Quietness is not to be overlooked as wisdom in action. In my own life, it is only when I just become silent that I can begin to find that part of my spirit that, in communion with God, allows me to see the truth as he sees it. And it is only truth, finally, that makes us free.
As I said, Dean and I, through long nights not sleeping, talking until the late hours of night, praying and crying, have actually gone hoarse. We both have terrible sore throats. In fact, he missed work today and ended up at the doctor's office. Dean says he feels like he has been crying for days. We both feel wrung out and know this is only a portion of the hurt our numerous friends are living with.
So we are forced to be quiet because talking hurts.
I think that might be the smartest thing I've ever not said. I'm gonna shut up now and listen for Jesus.
Psalm 139:17
How precious to me are your thoughts, O God! How vast is the sum of them!

9 comments:

Pat said...

Sometimes just reaching your hand out to help without saying a word speaks volumes to the hurting. I know, I have reached for that extended hand myself.

Margie said...

Lord, I am lifting up Sara and Dea to you now. I pray that You give them the words and wisdom to help those hurting. I pray that You wrap Your loving arms around them as they help others and help them to grow themselves. I ask that the people who are hurting, feel Your touch Lord. Use Sara and Dean in big ways. We love You Lord. In Your Son's Healing name, AMEN

Jada's Gigi said...

So much to be said for quietness and we have so little of it in our lives...so much pain in this world..only His truth sets any of us free and that usually really only comes from that voice inside...its time to pay a lot more attention to that voice...

tina fabulous said...

sigh.

i tried to get dean to say "i'll make him an offer he cant refuse" in hoarse voice last nite at practice.

i'm feelin' ya.

Sara said...

t~ i know you're in as deep as we are. i'll pray for you and you pray for me and we'll pray for dean and he'll pray for us and we'll all pray for everyone else and i'll be to scotland before ye.

tina fabulous said...

am i on the high road or the low road in this scenario?

whatever the case, i'm glad we're all going to scotland together.

Sara said...

i'm pretty sure it's tobacco road.

Tonya said...

Dean sounded bad on Wednesday, We will be praying for the two of you, as well as your friends.

Deb said...

....praying for your hurting friends....and for you as well, as you bless them with the encouragement and wisdom that the Lord will grant you....