Wednesday, April 25, 2007

My Father's Gift

This picture is fifteen years old. Today is my fortieth birthday. Forty years ago I was born on an Army base in Texas. Fifteen years ago my marriage was born again.
Dean and I married when I was nineteen. Three years later we had two babies, no money and a very troubled home. We fought and turned all the stress and immaturity on each other like weapons and our wounds were deep.
We took turns being the one to want out and the one to hold on. God did a work in my heart that took over a year as he turned me back toward my husband and healed the scars in my spirit. Once I was healed I looked at Dean to find he had given up entirely. For over a year he tolerated our marriage for the sake of our boys even as he bluntly informed me he was leaving. For over a year I tried with tears and desperation to be a wife no man would walk out on. I succeeded and failed in equal measure.
During that year Dean told me he no longer loved and would no longer lie that he did. Every day I told him I loved him and he stared back at me silently.
On April 24 he left for work, afternoon shift at the factory. The guy he usually worked with wasn't there, Dean had never met his replacement.
This stranger asked Dean how he was and my husband informed him, not too well. You see, Dean had decided that at the end of his shift he was packing up and leaving for good. The mystery man told Dean he didn't accept that and asked if he could pray. Dean shrugged, he didn't care. The decision was made.
For eight hours this man prayed. Literally eight hours out loud. He reclaimed our home and rebuked every demon in hell dispatched to destroy what God intended in our lives. He painted a picture for Dean of the throne of God descending, each leg making up the four corners of our house and our home nestled beneath the throne of God. Eventually Dean, broken and desperate started praying too.
He came home that morning, April 25, 1992, on my twenty fifth birthday. The day he intended to finally destroy us. In that dark early morning he crawled into our bed where I laid still and quiet, pretending to sleep; dreading the conversation.
He put his hand on my shoulder, this itself unusual in our cold relationship. "Hey, I need to tell you something." His voice was gentle and my stomach knotted.
"I love you."
These words I hadn't heard in over a year. I laid silently still, not sure what was happening. Afraid and distrusting and hopeful all at once. This thing I had prayed for was happening and I had to reach out to receive it even if I would be humiliated again.
Dean told me about this man, about the praying for eight hours and the throne of God resting over our house. He told me about his heart breaking and mending all in one night as I slept.
On April 25, 1992 God gave me my husband's heart for a birthday gift.
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

12 comments:

Elizabeth said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SARA!!!! We are so blessed to know you and your wonderful b-day gift from God!!! Thanks again for the fresh tears this morning :-) Have a wonderful day!! Love you!

tina fabulous said...

i never, ever get tired of hearing that story.
i love you more than all the words in all the languages of earth can say!
except maybe italian.
merry birthday!

Pat said...

I look at this picture of those two little guys and I can't imagine their world then or now with out their Mom and Dad together.
Happy birthday - you have much to celebrate....now me on the other hand, I have a daughter who is 40-Yikes!!

KayMac said...

My co-workers are all wondering why I am sitting here weeping. Our God is incredibly awesome!! This story of your marriage being redeemed is incredible. Happiest Birthday!!

Margie said...

I'm with Tina, I can't hear that story enough.

Happy Birthday!loveyou

Tonya said...

Sara, This is such a wonderful story... I love to hear it, I was just sitting here crying.

Deb said...

wow.....now I'm crying.

what an awesome testimony to the power of prayer and the precious gift of Christian friends who know how to pray and perservere on behalf of those whom they know are hurting....

Happy Birthday Sara!

Arlene - BY HIS STRIPES!!! said...

Happy Birthday Girl! Sorry I am late. I haven't posted or been on lately with everyone moving in and trying to arrange our home.

I remember when this was going on with you and your wonderful blessing from God and I have to say it was awesome to watch God heal you all in one day! Thank you God!

I agree with your Mom, I can't imagine your boyz without their parents. Thank God for everything He has done and is doing in your lives. You both are a true testimony to his love, restoration and grace!

Jada's Gigi said...

OMG! What a wonderful amazing story!!! God is SO incredibly good isn't He?!?! Happy Happy Birthday Sara
He makes a way where there is no way...
BTW...we, my hubby and I, are traveling this weekend to be that "man who prayed for 8 hours for you" in the marriage of a couple we love dearly...please pray!

Mrs. Mac said...

OK now, I've never heard this story. I hate it when you make me cry. Stop making me cry. send more Kleenix please!!!

HOW GREAT IS OUR GOD ... AND HIS TIMING IS SO PERFECT!

Terry said...

Hello Sara... I was just on your mom's blog and saw that it had been your birthday and I want to wish you a very happy BE-lated birhday!
Forty years old?! You are just a kid yet!

You have such a nice mom!
I am so glad that I ever did meet her at Mrs. Mac and even though I ALWAYS give her a hard time, she puts up with me!

Spring is finally arriving in this Southern Ontario land!
Maybe mext week the lilacs will be blooming.
They and the danelions mark the first official appearance of spring, here.
It has been winter far too long Sara!

Anyways, I have to go back to your posting about the church.
I read the one that Arlene's husband put in and now I am going to look at yours!

Have a great weekend and again Happy Birthday you young dear, you!!..........From Terry

Terry said...

Dear Sara,
After commenting, as I always do after, I read your other comments and when I read Mrs. Mac's I just had to go back and read your whole posting.
It is so lovely and I am afraid to tell you that I am sitting here, crying.
How wonderful that God gave you your husband's heart for your birthday.
That is surely a day you will NEVER forget!

I wish that my mom could receive the same blessing.
Since she was saved in 1967, she has been waiting 40 long years for my dad to be saved!

I guess your husband really does treasure his "princess" now.eh?
That is the meaning of your name.

I know that that "replacement" was surely sent by God that day especially for your husband, just as the Lord sent Philip [Acts 8:26-39] to the eunuch two thousand years ago!

Blessing to you and your whole family, Sara...Love Terry