Monday, April 16, 2007

Meet Sonia

This is my friend Sonia, Sonia Kashuk. Sonia and I met a month or so ago at Target. I was on the hunt for an eyebrow pencil. No, I did not pluck out all of my eyebrows, they were pretty much non-existent to begin with. The point is, it's hard to find a decent eyebrow pencil that doesn't leave you looking like MiMi on the Drew Carey Show. I've used the Revlon red pencil forever but there is not a color that is quite right and I've always been unhappy.
Until I met Sonia. There I was in Target searching for an answer to my eyebrow pain when before me was Sonia's collection of cosmeteticals. I had never used this line and the eyebrow pencil was a little pricier than my customary ugly Revlon red pencil. $6.99. Shew. But eyebrows are ever so important! I spend more time than I like to admit examining eyebrows and trying to recreate them on myself. What finally convinced me to give it a try was that Sonia had a color that was a little lighter than my Revlon red pencil and it was called "taupe." Taupe is a real color so I could imagine what it might look like, unlike "golden bronze blond ash brown light brunette."
I tried it the next morning even before my Revlon red pencil was finally used up and what joy! The color was just right! The texture was lovely! No crumblies! Imagine my further happiness when I realized that the Sonia pencil sharpens beautifully and lasts all day! Even when I rub my forehead in frustration at work!
I went this past weekend back to Target to visit with Sonia and to purchase a second pencil before my first one runs out as Wal Green's carries only the Revlon red and I just can't go back. I figured I'd take a look-see at the mascara. This is a toughy. I'm sold out to Mary Kay mascara because my eye lashes fall out at the slightest provocation and whilst rubbing my forehead I sometimes rub my eyes as well, plus although my face is dry I swear to you my eyes are greasy and my make-up disappears before lunch.
Anyway, I was nearly out of Mary Kay mascara and feeling guilty about how much I spend on it. I'd tell you but we don't speak it aloud. Sonia's mascara was only $7.99 and it had a handy dandy eyeliner pencil thing on the opposite end of the mascara! Space age technology at bargain prices! Well, in all honesty, it's not as great as Mary Kay but it did last all day as did the eye liner and it washed off easily. I despise water-proof mascara which makes my eye lashes fall out even if I don't actually apply it but simply have it on hand for weddings and funerals.
Anyway, the Sonia mascara is definitely worth a try and I'm as yet undecided if I'll go back to Mary and her high falootin' mascara. I do like it better but with savings and the convenience of Target availability added in; I may convert. We'll see if my eye lashes hang in.
I'm now considering buying her foundation. I currently use a long-wearing, moisture-locking, age-defying variety I purchase from a mortician supply company. I don't know. Sonia is hard to resist.
I'll keep you updated.
Matthew 6:22
The eye is the lamp of the body. If your eyes are good, your whole body will be full of light.

9 comments:

Pat said...

Now this is a good post! Consumer info that I can put to the test. I am currently using Physician Formula brow definer - also taupe that I can only find in one store. I buy 5 at a time which can be quite costly - but hey, we're talking important stuff here.
See ya, I'm on my way to meet Sonia.

Margie said...

she sounds like a good friend, do you think she will lead P&P?

tina fabulous said...

no crumblies is key! there must be some sort of makeup recommendation wave happening because just last nite, my mom went on for about 10 minutes about her new physicians formula foundation which performs some sort of miracle that makes your skin so fabulous that you no longer actually need foundation. which is a little counterproductive, but whatev.

Tonya said...

Great Consumer advice! Thank you!

Deb said...

Lancome.


I wear no other makeup. It's expensive --but worth it --and considering I only paint my face on Sunday mornings for church...(gasp --yes --I'm one of 'those' who dares to leave the house with glaring dark circles under her eyes...) Anyway --since I don't use makeup all that often, I justify the big bucks spent.

and one more thing to gasp about --i have never plucked my eyebrows.

I probably could use a makeover.

Deb said...

one more thing --for all of you spending big bucks on something to remove waterproof eyeliner and mascara --use Olive oil. It works wonders.

Deb said...

...and you have the added benefit of smelling like an Italian salad.

Mrs. Mac said...

I don't use eyebrow pencil. The more you apply, the less brow you end up with as you mature. And never, never over pluck ... they just don't grow back.

KayMac said...

will try your new friend. this is v important info.