Sunday, April 08, 2007

Easter

Easter Sunday. It was about 26 degrees give or take according to the Weather Channel when I checked at 6:30 a.m. Michigan Easters can be blizzards or heatwaves...very difficult to predict which.
I grew up here and have had my share of frilly dresses, ankle socks and frozen knees as we Michiganders will wear our Spring-Easter finery if it kills us. Sure, we all have sore throats the week after Easter, everyone needs traditions. I have dressed my little boys in knee pants and given them the experience of frozen knees as well. I expect to do the same with my grandchildren.
In fact, my niece, Sarah, had a spaghetti strap dress to wear to church this year. Do you think she wore it?
This year, being a member of the rock and roll church, I didn't even have a new pair of Easter jeans to wear to church. I put on a turtle neck and sweater and off I went. The boys, being almost 18 and 19 are very hard to get into knee pants these days. The Mr. did buy himself a new sweater for church but more due to an expanding waistline than a celebratory spirit.
Whether you met Resurrection morning in jeans or a sundress; whether under a warm sunrise or a snow-covered car; I hope your heart recognized the dawning day. I hope you were amazed and filled with awe the moment your eyes opened.
I hope you stood amongst the crowd in a church somewhere and cried tears of gratitude and felt the weight of true grace.
I hope you ate too much ham and too many jelly beans and wondered where that last Easter egg was hidden that no one found.
I hope your little ones wore knee pants or frilly dresses and there is plastic grass you'll be finding for months all over your house.
And I hope that if your Easter began and ended at chocolate bunnies and perhaps an obligatory visit to some church you won't see again until Christmas, I hope this is the last Easter you'll waste.
Don't think resurrections only happen once a year. You've been dead long enough, come join the living.
Make today your Easter.
Psalm 28:8
The LORD is the strength of his people, a fortress of salvation for his anointed one.

5 comments:

Pat said...

Looking at that picture of Dad and the boys makes me all teary eyed. He has now experienced the reason for Easter - first hand - and he doesn't have to eat everyone else's candy!!

Jada's Gigi said...

Sounds like your Easter memories and mine are very similar...:) We'd freeze if necessary but those new frocks would be worn!
thank goodness resurrections don't only happen once a year...thank goodness He is new EVERY morning!

Margie said...

Great Post! Happy Easter!! ily

Arlene - BY HIS STRIPES!!! said...

Barry & I were both so touched to see your grandpa again...but soon and very soon, we can eat that candy with him! Thank God for Jesus!

Sara said...

i suspect that even in heaven, grampa is taking everybody's candy. some things never change! soon & very soon...hallelujah!